If you are looking for a window replacement for your home, there are so many types for you to choose from. However, picking the right window to fit your home can be a daunting task. These days, when you talk about the materials for windows, it actually refers to the materials of the window frame. If you are having a hard time making the choice, let this article be your guide to make sure that you are doing the right decision.
Singla Paned vs Double Paned Windows
When choosing replacement windows for your home, you can pick between a single paned and a double paned window. It is important that you know the difference between the two. Here’s how they are different from each other:
- Single Paned Windows. This window is better if you are on a tight budget. They are cheaper to install and replace. However, when it comes to insulation and efficiency, they do not match those of the double paned windows.
- Double Paned Windows. These windows can effectively insulate your home. This means that you would be saving money on heating and cooling your house. This can protect your house from noise pollution and give you a peaceful indoor environment. However, double paned windows do not let in that much light.
Window Frame Materials To Choose From
When it comes to window frame materials, you have a couple of choices to choose from. The most basic are aluminum, vinyl, and fiberglass. Knowing which of these would be perfect for your windows is important. So here are the unique characteristics of each of these materials:
- Aluminum Frames. These are rarely used in residential buildings but there are other homeowners who prefer to have these installed. This frame material is not that impressive when it comes to insulation but is definitely good when it comes to its strength. If you have metal frames, it can get cold during the colder months, and way too hot during the summer months. If you have aluminum frames, the building can maintain its warmth in the winter and cool during summer. If you want window frames that are durable, then aluminum frames should be your top priority.
- Vinyl Window Frames. This material is the most common today. It is one of the most popular window frame materials right now because it can be easily manufactured while still keeping its beneficial properties that you would expect from a window frame material. It is of high value but low cost. This is why it is the standard of choice of many window installers. Aluminum has a great resistance when it comes to heat transfer which is why it is a good material when insulation is a priority. The only downside of vinyl is that you will not have a lot of choices when it comes to color.
- Fiberglass. This material is becoming more and more accepted for window frames. People were first skeptical about this material and thought that it is not as strong as the other choices. Other than that, homeowners also thought that fiberglass does not have the resistance to extreme temperatures. Little did they know that fiberglass can give them both. This is why fiberglass is now considered as an alternative to vinyl. The difference is that with fiberglass, you will have more color choices because it can be painted over. It is also a good choice for larger windows.
When it comes to your windows, do not be afraid to take a look at your choices. Do not settle on what the contractor tells you. The choice is yours. Make sure that you are getting the value for your money because window installation and replacement is an investment.